Coming to you from Hershey, Pennsylvania -- National S'mores Day is Aug. 10. There is no better way to celebrate the occasion than to gather around the bonfire with friends and family to make the classic summer treat.
Made from the delicious combination of pure Hershey's milk chocolate, crisp graham crackers and toasted marshmallows, S'mores have brought families together around the fire since the recipe was first published in the Girl Scouts handbook in 1927.
"It's time for National S'mores Day, which means family fun, campfire stories and gooey S'mores," said Anna Lingeris, spokesperson for The Hershey Company. "The quintessential combination of Hershey's milk chocolate, graham crackers and toasted marshmallows sweetens any summer day and creates memories that will last a lifetime."
It's easy to celebrate this sweet holiday together with family and friends – all you need are S'mores, she noted. Whether on vacation or closer to home, here are some simple ways to bring your celebration to life:
- Family Time with S'mores – Make National S'mores Day a family affair by getting everyone involved. Little ones can be in charge of assembling the graham crackers and Hershey's milk chocolate, while adults and older children take care of toasting the marshmallows. Once the S'mores are ready, dig in and enjoy this tasty treat together.
- Grilled S'mores – For a fun new way to enjoy S'mores, try making them on the grill! Simply wrap S'mores in aluminum foil and place on a medium-hot grill and cook 1 to 2 minutes on each side. When you're done, you'll have S'mores that are grilled to perfection.
- Summer Vacation S'mores – S'mores aren't only for camping! Many hotel chains offer fire pits or grilling areas which are perfect for making S'mores to help sweeten your trip and create a new family tradition. Staying home? You can also build S'mores at the park or playground in the designated picnic or grilling area.
- Fire up the Fire Pit – Can't get out to a campground? No problem! Make an impromptu camp fire setting at home over your backyard fire pit. You can even use real sticks to roast your marshmallows to make yourself feel like you're immersed in the great outdoors.
- Party with S'mores – Celebrate the occasion by bringing S'mores ingredients to an upcoming summer gathering! Guests will love making gooey S'mores and you'll be the hit of the party.
Join Hershey's Around Camp Bondfire
S'mores fans can take the excitement of National S'mores Day online by visiting Camp Bondfire on the Hershey's Facebook page (www.facebook.com/hersheys), an interactive application that helps families discover new ways to "bond" around the campfire and create S'mores-inspired memories all summer long.
To sweeten the experience and spark additional S'mores conversations, Hershey's partnered with The Motherhood, an award-winning web community of influential bloggers. Select community members are acting as camp counselors offering tips, stories and memories revolving around a different Camp Bondfire theme each week. Featured camp counselors Audrey McClelland from Mom Generations and Mary Carver from Giving Up on Perfect, share their National S'mores Day plans and offer sweet and easy party tips.
Now through September 7, Camp Bondfire invites fans to enter for the chance to be named a featured "Camper of the Week" and win an outdoor fire pit. The application also includes a Fireside Memory Book for users to share their favorite S'mores-making photos and a downloadable $1 off coupon toward their next purchase of two standard six-packs of Hershey's milk chocolate bars on the Hershey's Facebook page while supplies last.
For more information about National S'mores Day or to experience Camp Bondfire, visit Hershey's brand Facebook page at www.facebook.com/hersheys.
Have fun celebrating!
SOURCE: Hershey Corporation press release